Make your own free website on

Fairport Wrestling Header




Fairport Wrestlers Runner-up at Penfield

The Fairport Wrestling Team continued their strong wrestling finishing in second place at the Penfield Holiday Tournament. The Red Raiders were led by Joe Fingler who won the 171 lb. weight class for the second tournament in a row. Phil Accorso (103) and Kyle Tellex (140) finished second. Mike Fuqua (112), Aaron Rowe (125), and Ian Ammons (145) placed third. Steve Hassett (160) finished fourth.

Fingler was the number two seed and came out strong against Ernie Every (Victor) scoring six takedowns and a near fall for a technical fall at 4:33. In the semifinals Fingler took on John Oka (Baldwinsville) and again dominated the match with four takedowns in a 9-3 decision. Fingler met Leon Welch (Newark Valley) the number one seed in the finals in an exciting match. After a scoreless first period Fingler escaped in the second to take a 1-0 lead. Both wrestlers continued to battle evenly in the third but Welch found an advantage and reversed his position to take a 2-1 lead. Fingler continued to battle and with under thirty seconds to go he reversed Welch to regain the lead and held on for a 3-2 decision to win the 171 lb. weight class for thes econd week in a row.

Accorso started out with an exciting match in the opening round against Hoffmeir (Newark Valley). He fought to get off his back in the second period and came from behind to put Hoffmeir on his back twice in the third to earn a hard fought 14-10 decision. In the semifinals, Accorso dominated Mike O’Connell (Bishop Kearney) taking an 8-0 lead before ending the match with a pin at 3:09. In the finals Accorso met the number one seed Tim Jones (Cal-Mum) and once again battled hard but fell in an 8-0 decision.

Tellex stepped on the mat for the first time this season after being sick and injured, as the number two seed and started strong. In his first match against Adam Tramatto (BK) he worked to a 9-1 lead before sticking his first pin of the year at 4:57. In the semifinals, he came out aggressively against Nick Pagano (Greece Athena). Pagano scored the first takedown but Tellex escaped and took Pagano down straight to his back to take a 5-2 lead in the first period. Tellex held a 6-5 lead into the third period and put the match away with an escape and takedown to secure a 9-5 decision. In the finals Tellex took on the number one seed and defending Section V Class B champ and and couldn’t counter his quickness and fell 8-1 in a hard fought match.

Fuqua started the tournament strong scoring two takedowns and two near-falls before pinning Gian LoMaglio (Penfield) at 4:38. He dropped his semifinal match 7-6 to the eventual tournament champion in a tight match that was decided in the final seconds but bounced back to dominate Brett Howland (Newark Valley) 12-2. In the consolation finals Fuqua reversed Zenon Borys (McQuaid) in the second period and turned him and stuck the pin at 2:30 to finished third.

Rowe went right to work in his opening match and scored four takedowns to decision Jacob Sciandra (McQuaid) 8-4. He dropped his semifinal match and then came back to edge Evan Scheidel (Cal-Mum) 3-2. Rowe escaped and scored the only takedown in the match in the second period and held on for the win. In the consolation finals he dominated Pat O’Connell (BK) taking an 8-2 lead then put the match away with a pin at 4:01.

Ammons came out in his opening match and put away Ryan Porter (Victor) with a pin in just 1:08. He fell to the number one seed in the semifinals but came back to pin Marvin Diaz (East) at 4:34 to advance to the consolation finals. Ammons took on Will LaValley (Newark Valley) and scored a takedown in the third period and put LaValley away with his third pin of the day at 4:01.

Hassett wrestled up a weight class and came out strong against Geoff Perkins (North Rose-Wolcott) with two takedowns and a near-fall in a 7-0 decision. He dropped his next match against the number one seed but came back with two takedowns to earn a 5-1 decision against Josh Constantino (Victor). Hassett wrestled hard again in the consolation finals but fell and finished a well deserved fourth.

John LaClair (119) and Matt Cunningham (130) each scored four near-falls to earn a technical fall, Justin Cunningham (152) stuck a pin at 1:36, and Brian Bowen (135) came from behind to pin his first opponent at 3:59 to help Fairport lead the first round of the tournament. Ryan Kelly (215) earned a 6-4 decision as all twelve wrestlers earned a victory for the Red Raiders.

The Red Raiders continued to wrestle well in a league match against Rush-Henrietta but came up short 34-22. Accorso got Fairport off on a bang with his team leading eighth pin of the year at 1:23. Matt Cunningham fought off his back in an exciting see-saw match and earned a hard fought 16-10 decision. Tellex scored two takedowns and two near-falls in a 10-1 major decision. Ammons came from behind in the third period and scored a reversal with under ten seconds to go to earn a hard fought 11-9 decision to bring the Red Raiders to within 17-16. Fingler turned his opponent in the third period and stuck a pin at 5:27 to bring Fairport to within three, 25-22.

The Fairport matmen return home Tuesday January 4 to take on Monroe County East rival Penfield at 7 p.m. and travel to Palmyra-Macedon on Saturday at 10 a.m.